Let's face it, not all paid to click sites (and similar sites) are legit. While there are reputable ptc sites on the net (like Clicksia, Clixsense, Neobux, and Donkeymails, for example), you are always going to get a few "bad apples" in the bunch that like to make everyone look bad. On this page, I will list sites that turn scam, go offline, have too many complaints, or otherwise sites you will want to avoid. By the way this is not an exhaustive list of scam sites. For a more complete list of sites to stay away from, I recommend checking out the Scam list on the Talk PTC forum at http://www.talkptc.com/scamlist/ or PTC Investigations at http://www.ptc-investigation.com/default.aspx
Hall of Shame sites so far (also: closed sites):
1. Mindbux - this is a dead ptc site. At one time it was legit and paying, but it stopped paying and eventually went offline.
2. Bux Levels - I am sorry to see this site go. It sure had lots of potiential and was legit for a while. Had a nice concep too: a 8x4 foced matrix, even for free members), with more than a $500/ month earnings potiential. Usually only had 4 ads to click on per day (usually worth $.001) and had to upgrade to take earn from downline members' earnings beyond your direct sign ups. Changed hosts, turned into a unilevel system, and eventually went offline indefinitely.
3. Free Bird bux - at one time this too, was a legit site, and was very similar to neobux. But eventually it turned scam (even appears on Talkptc's scam list).
4. Talebux - this site had lots of potiential and was online for well over a year, but it seems to have gone offline indefinitely as of October 2013. It has been offline for several days now and I am not sure if it will ever come back online.
(more will be added as I stumble across more scam sites). Have a site you want to warn people to stay away from? Use the comment box below to share a complaint.
5. Probux - I am sorry to see the site go and turn scam. At one time this site seemed to be very stable and thriving website, but over the last few months, probux became unstable, stopped paying and now it seems to have gone offline for good. Interestingly, there is rumor going around that the owner of Probux was also the owner of Upbux and Onbux (both of them no longer in business either). Probux is an example of a good site that can turn scam over time. Interestingly, it looks like the site is back online, but I advise caution if you decide to invest in it at this time (I recommend NEOBUX over Probux for now).
6. CTP Gem. This site has been in "maintanence mode" since towards the end of November with no sign of coming back online anytime soon. Best to stay away from CTP Gem now. By the way, Talkptc already has CTP gem on their scamlist anyway.
- Traffic Monsoon.
- Empower Network as a blogging service. EN used to be a popular blogging service / network marketing company for affiliate and network marketers (like ptc affiliates), but sadly it has gone out of business over the last year. Was not the cheapest service to use, charging $25 per month to use their services, plus $19 per month to enroll in their affiliate program (along with other fees for additional services and training). They were also having issues with Facebook too (for example, Facebook has been known to censor posts people (such as labeling posts people post from their empower network hosted blogs as "spam" even if when affiliates weren't writing spammy posts). Will be looking into a new blogging service instead, though one good alternative to Empower Network is Global Domains International. It is much cheaper to join (a mere $10/month to join and use), their affiliate program comes free with the membership, and the $10/month fee includes hosting: a domain name (doesn't have to be a .ws domain name too, though they charge a little more for non .ws domain names), wordpress org blogging services, along with other resources for affiliate marketers. Commission rates are lower (basically $1/month per sale), but they can really add up for successful affiliates. They seem to be much more stable too for now. The is also Site Build it, but they don't really seems to offer a formal blogging service like Global Domains International does. Also, Host Gator is another popular alternative too. Either way, I don't recommend Empower Network at this time.
Recently closed sites as of 2018:
- Hits4pay (gone too)
Other not recommended sites list:
- Grandbux . Basically turned into more of a traffic exchange. Also rental referrals are gone too. Now days you only earn money from this site by referring members that purchase advertising. Most ads are in survey format too, meaning that people don't really have to click on your link to get credit for page views (basically they fill out a short survey in the survey links page). Better for more advanced affiliates (those good at referring new members).
- Bux Matrix (especially with Payza having legal troubles)
- Paypal as a payment processor. Paypal used to be a great payment processor for using ptc sites, but their policies are becoming more stringent and has become notorious for limiting or otherwise discontinuing services for many ptc sites. Even more legitimate ptc sites like Clixsense, Scarlet Clicks, and more recently, Buxvertise are finding themselves in the same boat. I advise against using Paypal as a payment processor for now. Will look into new ones to recommend instead (one service I am trying out now is Netteller).
- Payza as a payment processor. They are having legal troubles right now and the US version of the site has been taken down by the government. I will look into alternative Payment processors to recommend over the next few months.
Are there any scammy ptc sites or business opportunities I haven't listed here? Feel free post about them in the comments widget below. There are lots of ptc sites and business opportunities on the web and there is no way I will be able to review them all), but if there are sites you know of that people should stay away from, feel free to post below: